The Zero Suicide programme is supported through close engagement between the patient and clinician and part of this engagement includes the agreement and sharing of a ‘Safety Plan’ which gives the patient support and guidance. An understanding of the patient’s daily mood patterns is also an important aspect of the care process. However, capturing and sharing this information often proves difficult meaning clinicians miss out on important insights into the patient’s wellbeing and coping strategies. Paper based contact information and mood diary entries are not always available when they are needed most and they can be easily misplaced or forgotten.
How the Mood Diary App works
Working with our partners, Totalmobile, we have developed the Mood Diary App for Rio. With the app, patients can record their mood and factors affecting their feelings via a discreet application on their mobile device. Patients can also record any support they may have received from family, friends and mental health professionals. Integrated with the Rio Electronic Patient Records system, the patient’s health record is kept updated with the information recorded in their mood diary. Healthcare professionals can use this information to improve their support plans and provide better care. Patients can also use the app to access safety and crisis information, even when they don’t have mobile coverage.
- Reduce administration - less associated expense from lost paperwork
- Provide better care - equip healthcare professionals with the tools they need to provide the best care
- Secure patient record storage - keep patient information secure in the Rio EPR system instead of offline paper records
- Increase patient visibility – a more complete mood diary helps to create a better safety plan
- Better patient insight - clinicians have a clearer understanding of patient moods, causes and trends
- Discreet – password protected, information is stored on a mobile device rather than paper
- Security - access to help and emergency contacts helps to reduce anxiety levels
- Greater control and flexibility - reminders can be set at convenient time