We’re looking for the talented software developers of the future, and we’re ready to support you as you start your own development. We’ll help you learn software development skills in a friendly, supportive environment with a dedicated learning principal here to help you and plenty of real-life, commercial opportunities to give you real world experiences that will propel your future career prospects faster than a traditional degree course.
Servelec’s strategic talent programme, Servelec Digital Academy, offers a BSc (Hons) Digital and Technology Solutions Professional (Software Engineering) degree in conjunction with Sheffield Hallam University.
The Servelec Digital Academy offers successful applicants a full time, salaried role in the business, whilst you study for your degree, with all tuition fees covered.
Servelec designs and builds software that delivers better digital care. We provide solutions across health, social care, youth services and education, connecting providers with citizens by enabling access to the right information at the right time.
Learn more about Servelec
Knowing that the work you’re doing is making such a positive difference to the lives of so many each day, is just one of the reasons you should consider a career in Digital Care with Servelec.> A rewarding career awaits
What you'll get
Servelec Digital Academy enables you to study, work and get invaluable practical software engineering experience in a supportive environment in our dedicated learning hub onsite in our Sheffield City centre location.
Your university tuition fees will be paid by Servelec and you’ll receive a starting salary of £16,500. On graduation, you’ll stand head and shoulders above your peers with three years’ experience in the real world, working on actual projects with tangible, demonstrable outputs.
- The successful 12 applicants will receive an induction at our Servelec Sheffield headquarters in September 2019 before starting a comprehensive 12-week study programme directly at the Sheffield Hallam Campus.
- Your career then begins in our learning hub with a dedicated development mentor, our Academy Lead, Damian De Luca offering technical tuition, mentoring and practical help
- This is a full-time, permanent employment contract at Servelec, with associated employee benefits
- Working at Servelec whilst studying for your BSc ensures a debt-free start to your career, with Servelec taking care of your tuition fees
- After three years, you’ll be awarded a BSc (Hons) Digital and Technology Solutions Professional (Software Engineering) degree in conjunction with Sheffield Hallam University and continue with your software development career at Servelec, uninterrupted
What career experiences does Servelec offer in software engineering?
- Servelec offers a flexible working environment with access to hands-on software engineering experience and the ability to learn from others at all levels
- You’ll be based in our Sheffield Learning Hub, with practical experience taking place in team environments as the course progresses
- Our focus on health, social care, youth services and education sees us solving some of the most complex interoperability challenges in the public sector and our teams work together to change digital care
- Your learning within the Servelec Digital Academy means you’ll work across as many teams and workstreams as possible, with the opportunity to be as specialist as you’d like to be
- Servelec’s aim is to give you the widest range of technology knowledge possible. All aspects of software engineering will be covered, with a focus on the development of web based applications, including:
- General development topics – algorithms and logic, design patterns and methodology, agile development process
- Object oriented programming – C# Classes and Namespaces, API development, REST/SOAP
- Database development – Database Schema, SQL, Stored Procedures
How does Servelec Digital Academy work with Sheffield Hallam University?
- After your initial semester at Sheffield Hallam University, you’ll spend five days on campus, three times per year, with the final year decreasing to one five day block
- You’ll work with dedicated academics at Sheffield Hallam University, with hands-on training from University lecturers and leading software engineers
- Whilst at the Servelec Digital Academy Learning Hub (our dedicated studio), you’ll be taught according to the Degree syllabus
What qualifications do I need?
- 5 GCSEs 9-4 (A-C) including Maths and English or Level 2 equivalents
- 3 A-levels A-C including STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects or equivalent (NVQ/SVQ Level 3, or a BTEC National).
- Portfolio to demonstrate experience of software development to date – e.g. course work, personal projects.
What makes a great Servelec Digital Academy Candidate?
- We’re looking for problem solvers and people with a creative digital approach
- An interest in health, social care, youth services and education and the issues and challenges faced by these sectors, would be useful
- A demonstrable desire to learn is essential, as well as a proven academic track record